Sunday, April 5, 2009

Comfort

My main interest these days is comfort. Not because I am uncomfortable, but just because I am into being comfortable. This means I come home, relax, relax, maybe clean, go to the gym, shower, eat, and relax. Luckily there are friends that want to stop by and I enjoy the company of my roommates. I think I am into comfort because life is about to change and I am clinging onto some sort of stability.

That sounds really drastic and the situation is not dire, but we are almost done with school and I have no life plans after June. Ana and I are planning to travel during July, so I guess I have no life plans after July. Either way I am used to life plans and have been debating my next move in my head for the past few months. Part of me really wants to stay in Egypt, actually learn Arabic, and keep hanging out with all the good people here. Another part of me wants to move to a new city, find a job, settle down, and start a “career.” Hahaha, career, yeah right. Another part of me wants to move to a hippy commune in New Zealand, grow something organic, and get a lot of freckles while wearing wool sweaters. Those are my immediate options, please let me know what you all think is best. I am into feedback.

Job searching in Cairo is a bit of a mystery for me. There is no Craig’s List with any viable jobs, mainly the Craig’s List here functions as advertising space for foreigners to get rid of old furniture. I trudge along blindly hoping that some fabulous friend will help me, so far so good. I will keep everyone posted on any interesting changes.

Getting back to comfort I have become addicted to the beach and try as hard as I can to get next to the sea every weekend. Ain Sukhnah is less than two hours from Cairo and sits on the Red Sea coast, gorgeous. We have met quite a few people with small vacation homes in various compounds and some have been nice enough to bring myself and the roomies along for the day.

We have one more week of school then spring break. I need a spring break, As of now the plans are to head back to Dahab and get my advanced scuba certification. Katie, Paul, Katie’s sister and Hesham will most likely join me. Then after a couple of days in Dahab I think I will try to explore the rest of Sinai, hit up a few beach camps and get super tan. Diving and tanning, my only goals.

3 comments:

gale myles said...

Oh Dollie... sun.. water... freckles...
I vote for freckles and.. traveling with your sister!

Unknown said...

I recently decided with a Hopi Indian at an art show in Brooklyn, that New Zealand might be the best place to ride out the recession.

So there is some 'practical' feedback for you.

Faye said...

if a Hopi First Person (I believe First People is the new pc term for Native Americans) says New Zealand is it, then screw it let's go be Kiwis.