Monday, April 13, 2009

Underwater fun!

Spring break has arrived! Praise the high heavens, whoever is up there knows I was sick of teaching. The best thing about Egypt is the Red Sea, where there are hundreds of glorious dive sites for underwater friends to play in. I headed up to Dahab again and this time got in the water long enough to get my advanced diver certification. Woot woot, now I can go deep!

Dancing with my instructor Mahsen at the end of my last dive in the Blue Hole.

I believe this is Els Bells, the three sided tunnel. You descend 26 meters in order get to the around 250 meter coral wall, which stays on your right side until it leads you to the Blue Hole's entrance at 7 meters. The Blue Holes goes down over 100 meters and the only sea entrances are at 7 meters and I think 80 meters. Dangerous dive because people go down to far to the bottom entrance, where you have to travel through a 20 meter tunnel to get out to sea. Many things can go wrong on the tunnel. Nothing went wrong when I was there and it is pretty awesome to look down and see nothing but an aptly named blue hole. There were even people practicing free diving while we were there, that is some crazy stuff.

Paul, Kaite and Sarah. Epic snorkelers at the Blue Hole, Dahab.

My favorite giant clams, they remind me of the Little Mermaid. Underwater really does look just like Little Mermaid illustrations.

Underwater awesomeness.

First dive of the advanced course, out of five required.

No comments: