Saturday, March 14, 2009

Screw the gym, let's go to the roof!

Cairo can be a stressful place. Cairo can be a place that offers very few, obvious, ways to release your stress. Before I left I ran into a friend at a wedding who had been here for a few months, he cautioned me that one day I would need to lock myself up in a room and get pissed drunk. He was right, but luckily you can find places to go out and get piss drunk because getting completely wasted behind closed doors is to close to alcoholism for me, a wee bit sad.

Alas, there are other ways to relive stress. I suddenly started reading like I used in middle school. Once again I am finishing a book in a day, stealing them from friends with decent taste, and even buying some from Virgin Megastore. Buying from such a sick store is a little depressing, but then again I do drink Starbucks coffee now. Next stop Abercrombie & Fitch to completely round off my middle school rehashing.

Katie and I also discovered the rooftop is the next best thing to a gym. In our best effort to emulate a circuit workout we ran up some stairs and proceeded to rock out on the roof, working on our fitness. Paul was there to document the event on digi film.

Ipods. Sync'd

Figuring out double jump roping.

If you would like to try for yourself, I do suggest you do, you will need one ipod per person, one jump rope, headbands, spandex, and one rooftop. Sync ipods and start the same song at the same time. Now alternate between jump roping, alone or together, and running around in circles on the roof. Running’s benefits are increased with occasional fist pump in the air in time to your sweet tunes. For added enjoyment give your workout buddy an encouraging high-five when you pass each other running. Continue for 20-30 minutes. Add some lunges, a few push-ups, and don’t forget to stretch. Wash, rinse, repeat- presto fitness!


One day we might be brave enough to conduct an aerobics class in the street, but I think I might have to be piss drunk to attempt this. In all my years of athletic performance I have not worked out drunk, something tells me Egypt is not the best place to start.



1 comment:

christina said...

reading your blog makes me miss you and miss Cairo so much! p.s. thanks for your blog post on other blogs b/c HRO makes me laugh everyday. best.