Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Mom in Egypt-Luxor II

The street our hotel was on. Luckily for mom, Paul, and Katie the hotel's roof top had the cheapest beers in town. I cannot drink Stella, it is worse that Natty Ice. For those of you that have ever been to a high school or college keg you know and hate the taste of Natty Ice. I really cannot even believe I am capitalizing its name. Ugh.

The matching one is in Paris. Of course the one there is painted and I think capped in gold.
Of course.

View of Luxor Temple from outside the gates.

Karnak.

Karnak.

Tourists at Karnak.

My favorite tourist at Karnak. Genius.

The main entrance to Karnak Temple, two square kilometers (see how ex-patty I am? Kilometers, God damn metric system) of ancient carved religious themed rocks.

A line of sphinxes that used to border the ancient road to the temple. Now, the sphinxes line a rather squalid looking neighborhood that Mother Dear was fascinated by.

I am still wondering if this art is about the various ways the pious travel to Mecca or a thinly veiled homage to 9-11. I am guessing the earlier choice is correct and I feel less like a paranoid American when I assume that it is not a reference to 9-11.

The street along the Nile, lined with five-star Nile cruise boats, tourist cafes, feluccas, and various hagglers offering mom and I camels to see each other off into some sort of arranged marriage. We were there on Valentine's Day, love was in the air. albeit puritanical Muslim love involving camels and a gross fascination with women's hair because they are deprived.

Luxor Temple at night. Me and the Moms did not go in, we walked around it a few times and figured that was enough. You can really only see so much old stuff in three days.

The fertile Nile River Delta. I cannot even tell you how refreshing all the green was.

1 comment:

Lin said...

wow! I only see the portrait stones in the films.