Saturday, January 17, 2009

Appendix

Saturday, after Alex and Liefke left, I woke up with what I assumed was a vacation hangover; tired, achy, and really cold. I rallied and went out to dinner to say goodbye to friends. Rallied on Sunday and went to school only to be besieged by cramps all day and night. I woke up Saturday with more cramps, which were really more like what I assume contractions to feel like.

I went to the school doctor, she gave me an anti-cramping pill. It did not work.

I went back, she gave me two more and asked me to stay, mentioning that I could have an acute appendicitis.

She poked my stomach, let me rest and then the bell rang.

She was convinced I was better and appendicitis free, while I was not.

We get back from school and I go to a pharmacist who says I need blood work and should go today. I call my friend Hesham and he makes as appointment for me at a good hospital. I go in around 5:30 pm, get some tests, sit in a room, don a dashing hospital gown, never really get the results of my tests, get poked by my doctor, friends come and interpret Arabic for me, get a needle shoved in my hand by a nurse not wearing gloves, and around 11pm get wheeled down to surgery. Get put under morphine without any warning, hear a "wa wa wa wa wa" noise, go under, wake up shaking, get wheeled back to the room, and spend the two nights and days in the hospital trying to figure out the least uncomfortable way to sit up, walk, and get out of bed.

All in all a mildly traumatic experience. What was not traumatic was the amazing support I had from friends. Hesham who organized the doctor, roommates who brought me clothes and visited, Hend who stayed two nights in the hospital with me, Mosaad (spelled your name right huh?), Raf, and Amr who all visited and help with so much. Thank you!

Now I am on home rest for the next week or so. Out of school, Hobbling around the house. Although, Katie and I did make it out of the house today, walking half a block to catch a cab was more than enough for me.


Nurse with no gloves. She was actually pretty good and as soon as we said something they all started wearing gloves. Nursing is lacking in Egypt, doctors are good, nurses are not that amazing.

The room where I got cut open, or at least the entry to the room where I got cut open.

Post-surgery. I think I had stopped shaking at this point.

First walk after surgery, Hend was there. I touched the wall all the way down that hall!

Hesham, Gundy and Me. Surgery day plus one.

The most amazing get well card ever created. From Katie.

My insides as seen through ultra sound.

The offending organ. I was told it is huge for an appendix and mine was in the wrong place. I have no idea how your appendix can be in the wrong place.

3 comments:

gale myles said...

oh faybe baby!
I'm so glad that Gundie was there.
so glad for all your friends.
I'm sure glad you left that apendix at the horspita!!!
love momma

caitlin said...

appendixes are gross and awful! that's one thing you can leave in africa, good riddance.

xoxo

Unknown said...

take that sickening photo of your organ off if you want anyone to read this ever again!!!
That just made me ill and I am now having a appendectomy (sp) myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!