Sunday, September 14, 2008

A few photos of my apartment

I live in Nasr City, a sort of suburb of Cairo. Find Heliopolis on a map and look a little West, Nasr City is around there. In terms of charm the neighborhood is not what an young ex-pat goes looking for, but that apartment is paid for by the school and I can't complain.

The entrance to our building looks a little ramschackled. We have a two clothing stores (men's button ups and women's scarves), a pharmacy , and a moderately price cafe below us. I have not been to the stores or the restaurant. The pharmacy on the other hand saved my life when I got food poisoning. Inside, pictured below, is out "elegant" entry way. I put quotes around elegant because really they sidewalk is not existent and things are a little messy. Somehow Egypt looks tons better in photos than it does in real life, very odd.


We live on the third floor and I make a point to walk up the stairs, super healthy Faye.

Entry Way.

Living room, looking out towards our balcony.

View at night, from the balcony. Towards the right, not pictured, is a busy street with a small mall on the corner. I hate malls, but this one has a movie theater and a Starbucks (groan) with free internet. Starbucks has proven to be good for two things: bathrooms and free wi-fi.

Living room looking towards the kitchen, two bathrooms and three bedrooms.

See the curtain? All the rooms are off a long hallway through that curtain. My room is the tiny white light at the end of the hall.


This is the cat that mysteriously ended up on our deck. As previously mentioned we live on the third floor and we are not connected to other apartments.Somehow this guy showed up. We, Anna and I, decided to leave the cat on the deck because it could be stray and disease ridden. Luckily as I was leaving that night the doorman informed me the phone was for me, I answered and a nice lady told me in English her cat frequently jumps down from the fourth floor to the third, we may see the flying kitty again.

1 comment:

caitlin said...

faye, that kitty is far too adorable to be disease-ridden. give it a chance. for me.